Thursday, May 10, 2007

An Introduction

I've been a vegetarian for the past 4 years. A cheese eating, milk drinking, egg frying vegetarian. Over the course of the past year I've been slowly moving towards becoming a vegan. One of the biggest challenges for me has been cutting out dairy. It's pretty easy not to buy milk, or cheese, or eggs, but it's difficult to get rid of them in baked goods. Many breads contain eggs. Almost all pastries and deserts contain eggs (and often milk). Partly because of this, and partly because I tend to have a do-it-yourself attitude, I decided to try my hand at baking.

I've found it very difficult to find good vegan recipes for common things such as muffins, cookies, donuts, etc. All too often run into recipes that say things like "Commercial egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs". Recipes like those frustrate me greatly and I will do my best to avoid posting them here. For now, this blog is just going to be me baking from a recipe with pictures and commentary. At some point I intend to move beyond that and start coming up with things on my own and, hopefully, help fill the void that exists in vegan baking. I am not well versed in any theory behind baking besides the obvious things (like the fact that yeast rises), so I'm going to be learning as I go.

I hope someone out there finds this interesting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Just Searched on Muffin recipes..& came across ur Blog..

had a Hearty Laugh at Photos...

Good Try Buddy...Keep on :)


reetu